My mad dash to Henry's graduation

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

My mad dash to Henry's graduation



I looked down at my watch, it was 8am. I was still stuck inside the waiting area before my practical exam starts. I look around and I see some of classmates doing some last minute reading, others were reviewing each other with questions and some were already agitated because of the exam they're about to take. I was already agitated myself. You see this was not just an ordinary exam day for me. It was also Henry’s moving up day from kindergarten which was also scheduled at 8am. I didn’t want to miss this big day for my son. I wanted to be there for him.

It was a moving exam which means we had to take it by groups. I had already asked my professor in advance if I could go with he 1st group since my son was graduating. It was a great thing that she agreed. Thank you Dr. Alvarado! 

At 9am, the exam was over and just in time. I looked at my phone and found a text from the husband. “The program is about to start”, it said. I thought, well great! I would still able to make it and maybe miss only the opening ceremony. I ran to the nearest bathroom and changed my clothes since I was still in my school uniform. Luck was on my side as I immediately got a cab. 

On my way to the venue, the husband and I exchanged text messages. He gave me a blow-by-blow on what was going on during the ceremony. Henry had already performed twice, he recited a poem and had a song number with his classmates and I missed it. I felt like such a bad mother.
Henry's kindergarten graduation

Henry's kindergarten graduation
Singing Put a little love in your heart
I was 10 minutes away from the venue when I got a text that the giving of the diplomas was about to start. They were giving it by section and Henry’s class was going to be the 2nd to be called. I had time. Maybe I was going to see this one, I thought to myself. I was almost there anyway. I was getting nearer and nearer. 

Finally, the cab stopped in front of the venue. And just when I was about to step out of the cab, my phone I heard my phone make a sound. It was a text message from my husband saying Henry had just received his diploma. I can’t believe I missed this as well. 

I ran up to the auditorium just before they were about to sing the closing song. I went near the area where the graduates were and saw Henry. I saw him look back at me and gave me a wave. He had a big smile on his face and it was just so lovely to look at. I hope he did not notice that I was not present during the rest of the ceremony. I’m really glad I still made it even for just the final minutes.

Henry's kindergarten graduation

Henry's kindergarten graduation
Family picture with our graduate. I'm still in my school shoes. 
Looking back on this day, I realised that I may not be always there for Henry, for his big moments. After all, it wasn’t just his graduation. Last year, I spent Christmas Eve and New Year’s day at the hospital, away from my family. As a young doctor, there are times when I will be on duty and I will be on call. I just hope that he will understand. I can’t promise that I will always be there but I promise that I will exhaust every means just to try to make it.


Have you ever missed a child's big moment? When was it and how did you make up for it?

31 comments:

  1. Awwww.... at least you made it before it ended an he was happy so that's all that matter. ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made it there and so it's a happy ending! Congratulations to your son :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know your son will understand if you did not make it but you did. Clap clap clap! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww congratulations, you have a handsome son!

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often miss accompanying my kid during educational tours but never on her graduation day. It was good that you were able to make it on your son's graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Ditas, I am not yet a mom but a proud aunt of 3 nephews and a niece. My brother and his wife are also physicians and I think they feel the way you do especially when tending to their kids. My nephew graduated with only my brother present because the mom had an oral test for her fellow (sorry not so sure with the term) then.

    I'm sure he never noticed your absence. Kids today are very smart. He'll certainly understand the few instances when you're absent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate. Just like you, I also make it a point to be present in my son's every milestone, and so far, so good. I haven't missed a big moment yet, and hopefully, the trend continues. Congratulations, Henry, and to the proud parents!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You still made it so, yay! As a doctor, do you have set hours or are you on call?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to your little one. Although you didn't make it to the awarding of the diploma, at least you managed to see him through the last part of the graduation and it matters a lot for the kid. I'm sure you've made all your efforts to reach on time but sometimes, time is just against us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. congratulations to your handsome son and to you sis for making it present on his grad day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have realized that I cannot always be there for my children and I am a stay-at-home mom at that. I have also learned to cherish what can be done and try to do better the next time for those I have failed to do. We just really need to do our best as parents.

    ReplyDelete
  12. At least you got in time and he saw you there. That is one of the biggest problem of a working parents who are always on-call. There are times you need to choose between family and your duty. But I know our kids will understand such.

    ReplyDelete
  13. At least you were able to make it in even in the closing song. I know your son will understand. Being a doctor is really a tough job. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have not miss any of the important dates. I am very keen about it. My husband and I were there during my daughter's first on stage performance. I am glad you were able to make it to your son's graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You still get an A for effort. I'm sure Henry does appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i think every working mom has that issue, there will and there will always milestone in our kids that we were not able to witness..but of course supermom we are, lets just always try to catch every event na meron sa buhay nila. Mas lalo na sa akin na singlemom ako, laging nasa work but i see to it that every weekend nag ba-bonding kami kami na malling lang tapos we eat siomai, ice cream or pop corn..or arcade..any activity basta makabawi lang man sa mga days na hindi ko sya mapatuunan ng pansin.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awww.. You were just on time. Henry knew you were there. Congratulations to Henry! I'm sure you're so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The important thing is you were able to make it and he saw you just in time. I hope your husband was able to capture in video all of your son's performances and when he accepted his diploma so you could still watch it in action. :-) Congrats to you, your hubby and of course to your adorable son!

    ReplyDelete
  19. al least you still have the effort to be with your soon! keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What is important even though you were late was that you were physically present and I'm sure your son waa happy enough to see you there! Congrats to your son and to you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It sounds like you are making every effort to be there for Henry. Keep it up, but don't beat yourself up for what you miss. Just keep trying to be there as much as possible. And remember, he will remember you spending time reading to him or playing dinosaurs with him, too. Relax and enjoy being a mom.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aaw. Sayang, Anyway, just think that you will have more opportunities to make time for him. Every day is a brand new day anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. You tried your best to be there. I think its good enough, try to make up with him. Treat him for an ice cream or just a day spending time together. So, far I didn't missed anything for my family maybe when my kids start at school and conflict schedule.:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Giving you a wave during the last song number. That must have been a priceless moment. I am sure you will have more lovely moments with your son.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great that you are making your best effort to be there for him. I know he understands your struggles to be with him when he reaches his milestones.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My daughter graduated in KG last March and I'm so happy that I was able to witness it. My husband shared memories through photos only though because men are not allowed inside the school.

    ReplyDelete
  27. My son will have his summer class graduation next week. Unfortunately, a meeting is scheduled on that day, and my husband has an audit too. But I already told our head I may not attend the meeting. Or maybe I will be a little late since the mini graduation will be held 8am in the morning.

    Now, I am a little pressured because I know for sure I cannot avoid missing some important events in my son's schooling. But I know he'll understand. Congratulations to your son :)

    Mommy Maye
    www.momaye.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have missed some of my son's field trips and a lot of times he says it is ok, pero grabe din ang mommy guilt, especially since I have attended all of his older sisters' field trips. He would make kuwento pa how his friends' mommies are there with their kids.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your son is so handsome! I had a baby quite late so when my son was growing up, I already finished residency and had all the time for him. I started private practice as he grew up and so I could bring him along and could attend all his activities... until he became Grade 1, when we opened Ciudad Medical Zamboanga. So he grew up in the place especially, there were few patients yet in the early years...playing with consultants and staff alike When I really got so busy with practice, he became high school and he, too requested me to "back off" a bit because he didn't want to be called Mama's boy or a spoiled brat! So when I really got too engrossed with work and he was almost graduating, he said, "Mom, you don't have to work that hard!... we are already okay!" I had to explain to him, I was not working for the money but because the patients needed me for their services and wanted rapid results. When he said that I felt guilty...even teenagers need their Mommy! I was giving him space to also bond much with his Daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations!! My major mommy guilt was when I missed my daughter's kiddie crew graduation. It was a big deal to her and I felt really bad.,

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, no one will take it against you, Ditas! I am a WAHM but even though I don't miss the "big" moments, I still miss some "small" moments which are just as important. I guess every mom will always have that mommy guilt!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think of this post. Comment away. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...